We love featuring recipes from our training staff, and Thea‘s got a great one here with her Baked Salmon Cakes. Make this for yourself, or multiply out the recipe to cook for the whole family or freeze for future quick meals!
Baked Salmon Cakes
Servings: 15 • Size: 1 cake •Calories: 87 • Fat: 3 g • Protein: 7 g • Carb: 8 g • Fiber: 1 g • Sugar: 1 g
Sodium: 297 mg • Cholesterol: 23 mg
- 1/2 pound wild Alaskan salmon filet, fresh or frozen (if frozen thaw overnight in the refrigerator)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup small-diced red onion
- 1 1/2 cups small-diced celery
- 1/2 cup small-diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup small-diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained (Im not picky on having these or not)
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs (Gluten Free if you have them)
- 3 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
OR just throw the ingredients in a bowl until it tastes good…I hardly ever measure things! Too much time! Haha
**Fresh Salmon is better but if you’re pressed for time you can used canned salmon, no cooking required if its canned just proceed to the next step**
- Season salmon with salt.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat; when hot lightly spray with oil and add the salmon.
- Cook until browned on one side, about 4 to 5 minutes then turn and cook an additional 4 to 5 minutes or until salmon easily flakes. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the pan, then add the the onion, celery, red and yellow bell peppers, parsley, capers, hot sauce, Old Bay seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large saute pan over medium-low heat and cook until the vegetables are soft, approximately 18 to 20 minutes.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Flake the salmon into a large bowl.
- Add the bread crumbs, mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, and eggs.
- Add the vegetable mixture and mix well.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, this will make them easier to shape and become less sticky.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray. Shape the batter into 15 cakes and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake about 10 to 12 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
If you love what Thea’s idea of a great meal is, you should check out the rest of the Jade Fitness Staff here!