In an effort to make sure you are taking care of not just your physical fitness, but your nutritional health as well, we’re posting recipes that our team loves to cook on a regular basis. This week’s recipe comes from one of our favorite team members Becky Pfordresher. Becky’s lentils and spinach recipe does it all, as a great vegan recipe that handles your post workout protein needs as well as your leafy greens and antioxidants. For those of you who don’t need it to be vegetarian, the addition of chicken broth adds a little more flavor if you need that taste of meat, but you’ll be surprised to realize you don’t really need it!
Prep time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 55 min.
Ready in: 1hour 5min.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 white onions, halved and sliced into ½ rings
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen Spinach
- 1-teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Heat oil in a heavy pan over medium heat. Sauté onion for 10 minutes or so, until it begins to turn golden. Add minced garlic and sauté for another minute or so.
- Add lentils and water to the saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, lower heat, and simmer about 35 minutes, until lentils are soft (this may take less time, depending on your water and the lentils).
- Meanwhile cook the spinach in a microwave according to package directions. Add spinach, salt and cumin to the saucepan. Cover and simmer until all is heated, about ten minutes. Grind in plenty of pepper and press in extra garlic to taste.
A few changes I do, based on other reviewers – use vegetable (or chicken broth) instead of water; be careful of the ratio of lentils to liquid – follow the directions provided on the lentil packaging as a guide (basically more liquid is needed that is called for in the recipe).
Becky combines her own unique blend of classic yoga poses in a dynamic flow-style. While Becky takes the practice of yoga seriously, her teaching is infused with a lighthearted attitude and a celebration of joyful energy and openness.
Check out the rest of her profile here, or sign up for one of her yoga classes today!