Every so often, we’ll share a Jade staff person’s favorite healthy recipe. This Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal comes from Ellen, whom you might run into at a class or the front desk.
“I tend to make this on Sundays and then reheat it for breakfast during the weekdays. I like it best served warm with almond milk and walnuts on top!”
Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal (serves 8)
- 1½ cups (about 3 medium) mashed bananas
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups milk
- 2½ cups old-fashioned oats
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mash the bananas well with a fork.
- Mix the bananas with the brown sugar, eggs, salt, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Next, mix in the milk, then stir in the oats.
- Spray the inside of a glass baking dish (8×8 inch or similar size) with non-stick spray. Pour in the oat mixture. Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes or until the center is solid and the edges are slightly golden brown.
- Serve warm, or refrigerate and enjoy cold.
Interested in more great recipes? Come on in and chat up Ellen some time, she’s got plenty more for you!